1. California is transitioning Medi-Cal funded health care to managed care. That is a way of providing health care that always begins with a person’s primary doctor.
2. In Butte, Glenn, Plumas and Tehama counties, two managed care agencies will be operating : Anthem Blue Cross, and California Health and Wellness.
3. Like everyone else on Medi-Cal, regional center consumers will need to select one of these agencies, and enroll in their plan.
4. Enrollment goes through an advisory group called Health Care Options. They provide three ways to enroll in one of the managed care plans: online at www.healthcareoptions.dhcs.ca.gov; through their call center at 1-800-430-4263; or in person at one of their local offices. Currently they have an office in Chico, Oroville, Willows, and Orland. They will shortly also have offices in Quincy and Red Bluff.
5. A consumer will need to choose between the two plans offered. The best way to make a choice is to identify the consumer’s primary doctor/health clinic, find out which plan that doctor/health clinic is enrolled in, and enroll in that plan.
Below is a worksheet to help the consumer, and the support people in the consumer’s life, identify which of the two managed care plans to select. Once this worksheet is completed, it can be used to assist in the enrollment process through Health Care Options.
Consumer’s Name _____________________________________________________________________
Consumer’s primary doctor/health clinic____________________________________________________
This doctor is enrolled with: Anthem Blue Cross ___ California Health and Wellness ___
PLEASE USE THIS INFORMATION AND CONTACT HEALTH CARE OPTIONS THROUGH ONE OF THE THREE WAYS LISTED ABOVE TO ENROLL IN ONE OF THE MEDI-CAL MANAGED HEALTHE CARE PLANS.