From the Director:
Over the last 50 years Far Northern Regional Center (FNRC) has created a system of services and supports in our region to help realize the hopes and dreams of those we serve. In 2015, the State submitted a request to the federal government for approval to provide services and supports in a more flexible manner. The request is call Self Determination, it provides each person with an individual budget that can be used to purchase the services and supports they need to implement their Individual Program Plan (IPP). In exchange for more freedom, the budget has a cap that may be adjusted under certain circumstances.
What’s Happening Now?
*Selected participants only
Principles of Self Determination
- Freedom to exercise the same rights as all citizens; to establish, with freely chosen supports, family and friends, where they want to live, with whom they want to live, how their time will be occupied, and who supports them;
- Authority to control a budget in order to purchase services and supports of their choosing;
- Support, including the ability to arrange resources and personnel, which will allow flexibility to live in the community of their choice;
- Responsibility, which includes the opportunity to take responsibility for making decisions in their own lives and accept a valued role in their community, and,
- Confirmation, in making decisions in their own lives by designing and operating the service that they rely on.
Self Determination in California
In October of 2013, Governor Jerry Brown signed SB 468 into law which added to the Lanterman Act a new service option called Self Determination.
What is Self-Determination?
It is a voluntary program choice that provides a family or an individual with an individual budget that they can used to purchase a variety of services and supports to meet their family needs.
What Types of Services Can You Purchase?
For families you can access the services that were taken away in 2009-10. If you recall, they were supports such as social and recreation programs, health clubs, and non-medical therapies such as counseling, music and art therapy.
You will be able to fund creative and flexible services that may not be available in your community at this time.
The federal government will provide a list of services that can be purchased with self determination dollars.